Domestic Violence Attorney in Wilmington, NC
Defending Those Who Are Facing Domestic Violence Charges in New Hanover County
Domestic violence is a serious crime that has painful repercussions for people who have suffered as a result of physical, emotional, financial, or sexual abuse. Unfortunately, sometimes people make false accusations, and it's the false allegation that causes suffering, but this time for the person who has been charged.
This can happen in the context of child custody battles or in other circumstances where one person wants to gain an advantage over the other. If this has happened to you, you need an experienced domestic violence lawyer who can protect your rights and challenge the charges you face.
Have you been accused of domestic violence? Call The Wagoner Law Firm, P.L.L.C., today
at (910) 400-8285 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with our Wilmington domestic violence lawyer.
What Is Domestic Violence?
Domestic violence is defined as the commission of one or more violent acts, excluding self-defense, upon an alleged victim or minor child living with the alleged victim with whom you have or had a personal relationship.
These violent acts include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Attempting to cause bodily injury or intentionally causing bodily injury
- Placing the aggrieved party or a member of the victim party's family or household in fear of imminent serious bodily injury or continued harassment
- Committing any of the following sex-related crimes: first or second-degree rape; sexual offense with a child; first or second-degree sexual offense; sexual battery; statutory rape or sexual offense of a person 13, 14, or 15 years old; or intercourse and sexual offenses with certain victims
What Does the Law Consider a "Personal Relationship"?
The law outlines a “personal relationship” as two people who are:
- Current or former spouses
- Persons who live together or have lived together
- Related as parents and children, including others acting in loco parentis to a minor child, or as grandparents and grandchildren
- Have a child in common
- Current or former household members
- Persons who are in a dating relationship or have been in a dating relationship
Domestic Violence Takes Many Forms
If you are facing a charge of this nature, it can be for any of the following, or a combination of, the following reasons:
- Domestic assault
- Domestic criminal trespass
- Communicating threats
- Harassing phone calls
- Violating restraining orders
- Simple assault
- Assault on a female
- Battery of an unborn child
Penalties for Domestic Violence in North Carolina
Being convicted of a domestic violence charge in North Carolina can have serious consequences, which could include anything from:
- Anger management classes
- Community service
- And incarceration
A conviction could also mean you become the subject of a restraining order or are no longer able to see your children. Without a committed Wilmington domestic violence attorney, these devastating consequences could become your new reality.
How a Domestic Violence Lawyer Can Help
A domestic violence attorney provides invaluable assistance and support to those facing domestic violence charges. They not only navigate the complex legal system but also ensure that their client's rights are upheld and protected throughout the entire process. A domestic violence lawyer understands the intricacies of domestic violence laws and uses this knowledge to build a robust defense strategy.
Here are some of the key services that a domestic violence attorney provides:
- Legal Counsel: They offer legal advice tailored to the specifics of the client's case, helping them understand their rights and options.
- Representation in Court: They represent their clients in court hearings, ensuring they receive fair treatment.
- Case Preparation: They gather and analyze evidence, interview witnesses, and prepare compelling arguments to challenge the charges.
- Negotiations with Prosecution: They negotiate with the prosecution to possibly reduce charges or penalties.
- Protection Order Proceedings: They handle any proceedings related to protection orders, whether the client is seeking to have one lifted or is defending against one.
- Family Law Matters: They manage any related family law matters, such as child custody or divorce proceedings.
- Emotional Support and Referrals: They provide emotional support and can refer clients to counseling or support groups if needed.
Contact Our Wilmington Domestic Violence Lawyer Today
Don't let trumped-up or exaggerated domestic violence charges ruin your life. Our Wilmington domestic violence attorneys know how serious these charges can be and are ready to provide a strong legal defense to ensure your rights are protected. Reach out to our experienced team today to discuss your situation and your options for moving forward.
Contact The Wagoner Law Firm, P.L.L.C., today to get started on your defense with our domestic violence attorney in Wilmington, NC.
Assault by Strangulation Client Acquitted
Assault on a Female Case Dismissed
Common Law Robbery Case Dismissed
Driving While Impaired Case Dismissed
Felony Hit and Run with Injury Client Acquitted
First Degree Arson Case Dismissed
Heroin Trafficking Case Dismissed
Insurance Fraud Client Acquitted
Sexual Battery Client Acquitted
Statutory Rape Case Dismissed